Sunday, November 9, 2008

All Hallow's Eve

Yes, yes. I know what you're saying. "Halloween has been over for, like, a week!" Yeah, well...deal.

It all started the Saturday before Halloween. Sierra, Ben, Isa, Stephanie, and I went to be a part of Sierra's sister's haunted house for Thai orphans. I really regret not getting a picture. May I say, I was pretty dang scary! I was wearing this dress:


(I'll make a post about my dresses later when I stop being lazy and take some pictures). I put my hair in half-pigtails, ratted them up crazily, and put really really long black ribbons in each pigtail. I also put some intimidating make-up around my eyes and knee length black and white striped socks with lace along the top.

At first they were like, "Why don't you be the patient the doctors are operating on?" I was like, "Okay" and they proceeded to lead me to a table covered in fake blood. Uh, no. I'm sorry, but I am in love with this dress. Did they really expect me to lie down in a bunch of red?
So, I ran off and joined Sierra and Stephanie in this room with an intense strobe light. You can imagine how tiring that got after a while. Constant flashing is quite painful!

When the kids came in, I poised myself like a ballerina porcelain doll. As they walked by, I would try to lurch suddenly toward them, but it didn't really work because they were in such tight groups there wasn't enough room for me to do that without hitting some people (which was against the rules).

One guy walked in and, once he saw me, shouted "FARONG" and walked on. I was like, "what?" since, you know, most of the people in there were farongs.
One little girl entered the room, saw me, and said in a thick accent, "beautiful!" and grabbed me by the arm. That kind of freaked me out!
One group that seemed especially wound up came in, saw me, backed up blindly, ran into Sierra, freaked, and ran out. I got a big laugh out of that one!

For the second half, someone stole our room, which I was unhappy about since I quite liked my setup. So, the people in charge asked me to sit at the table with the mirror and act like the girl in The Ring (brushing my hair and stuff). Yeah, because me with my short mussed up pigtails totally looked like this:


Anyway, the brush was covered in fake blood which was also going to drip on my dress. So, I positioned myself and angled the mirror so that when people turned the corner, they would see the reflection of my face in the mirror. Keeping a neutral face and letting my eye makeup seem more intense in the lighting, I would stare at them in the mirror and turn my head sharply when they'd get close. Then, when they weren't really looking anymore, I'd stand up and stare at them. Occasionally someone would look over their shoulder and see me standing. That scared them!

The best was when Isa, who was in the room in front of me, would scare them so they'd back in without looking at me. They'd turn around and be like, "Gah!"
At one point, some stupid kid was all 'tough' and not afraid of me. He stared defiantly into my eyes for a while but, when I stood up, he ran into the next room really fast. Isa and I laughed about that for a while!
Then there was this guy with a fancy camera who really looked like he knew what he was doing with it. He took, like, six pictures of me. He took one in the mirror that I really wish I had asked for!

I also got lots of people afterwords wanting pictures with me and telling me I was scary ^-^


Then came Halloween! It was pretty dang epic. We dressed up as Zombies (I know, clever costume) and stayed in character the entire night! We groaned and limped and remained unfocused. It was awesome! We were famous by the night's end!

There was this one lady who, as we came moaning and groaning up the driveway, said in a southern accent, "Look! It's mummies? Mummies...mummies..." and then some guy behind her was like, "Dawn of the Living Dead!" and she was like, "Yeah! Dawn of the Living Dead!" When she dropped candy into my bag, she was like, "Did you get a gee-tar while trick-er-treatin?" (note that I took a ukulele and when we would knock on a door, I would zombie strum the thing and we'd all sway)

We also went into this haunted house. As we entered, we found ourselves wondering where the scary was. Not a single person jumped out to scare us. We were like, "uhh..." Then, when we exited the haunted house, we realized why no one was left in there! Every single one of them was stone-cold drunk. Some lady walked up and grabbed Isa and I around the shoulders and was like, "These guys found friends! They found friends in there! There were friends for them in there!" because, I guess, we were zombies and so we felt right at home with all the monsters (or...styrofoam tombstones since that was pretty much all that was in there.)

We were so tired by the time we got to Ben's house. It's quite a ways from Sierra's and we limped the whole way. We got in and were like, "water! Give us water!" then, pretty much the very second we left, it started to rain. Hard. We had already made our way around this little path and we were like, "Ah! Now what?" Sierra ran toward the little playground and was like, "shelter!" then she turned around and ran back and was like, "metal!" So, we tried to hang under this tree, but it started dripping. That's when we noticed we were right behind Ben's house. So, we climbed over the fence and went back in.

Memorable quotes from the night:
Little girl who couldn't say her rs: "You're weird..."
Stupid little boy: "I'm not falling for it."
Marian's entire golf cart: "AAAAAAH! AAAAAAH! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"
Rachel (on the golf cart): "Marian! You had better make this thing go faster or I'm going to shoot you!" (or something like that)

Oh, Sierra also almost killed a child. She scared her into the street in front of a car.
It was pretty fun!


3 comments:

Lindsay said...

That was so fun to read! You're lucky you're in Thailand...when I was a senior in high school, it was pretty much 'not cool' to go trick-or-treating anymore. :) You look great as a zombie, by the way!

And...I would like to see you in that dress - WEIRD!!

Chelle said...

Yeah, I second that. I miss trick-or-treating so badly. Looks like you had so much fun! I guess you'll have to share your candy with me. :)

Amber Dodge said...

The candy this year sucked. Literally all we got was sugus and mentos. It was pretty disappointing.