Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Video games! w00t!




Kay, so pretty much the purpose of an online blog is to spew about video games and the like. So, that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm going to spew about the most recent games I've been playing. Yay!

The World Ends With You

This game = epic
You can't argue with math.
The gameplay is smooth and, well, awesome. Incredibly hard. You see, you play as two characters at a time and you have to fight with them at the same time; one in the top screen, one in the bottom. So, you've got to keep track of what's happening in both screens at a time. It's pretty intense. The character design is (except for Shiki) awesome. I love Neku's headphones! The music is good, but does get a bit repetitive. Admittedly, sometimes there's too much dialog. There have been times when it felt like "Just let me fight!" as they were having their friendship speech. But all in all, I'm hooked. I've almost finished the game and can barely put it down to let the DS charge (but you even get points for putting it down!)
In the end, I give it 9/10

Cooking Mama 2: Dinner with friends

Man, what a weird game this is! Seriously, what the heck? It's just so...happy. All the time! I'm not exaggerating. Like, you completely mess a recipe up, end up with 0 points, and catch the pot on fire, and it STILL gives you a happy little message: "Not too bad!" The optimism drives me crazy. And the cooking makes no sense. "To stew this lobster correctly, blow on it!" I also keep unlocking things that I have no idea what to do with. I get items and presents and stuff. But I have yet to figure out where any of these items go or what I'm supposed to do with them. But it is entertaining to listen to the really thick Japanese accents in the English voices (I don't know why, but they recorded the English audio in Japan. So, the voices end up something like "Cuk-ing mama tu: Dinneaer wees fends!" and "Lesultsu" (results))
All in all, I give it 4/10
Mario Party DS

This game is pretty much what you'd expect from Mario Party. Boring, repetitive, and addicting. Nintendo should have given up on this whole series long ago. But, they continue to trudge on. If there's one thing we've learned from Nintendo, it's that they'll never back down. Ever. I blew through the single player mode no problem. It was super easy. Now I don't know what to do. Hopefully my friends will get it soon. Then maybe it'll be some fun.
At any rate, I give it a 6/10.






Mario Kart Wii

Mario Kart has always been one of my favorite series from Nintendo. It's just fun. That's all. My friends and I spend hours upon countless hours playing the DS version. So, I was pretty excited when this version came out! Still the Mario Kart we all know and love, but the Wiimote adds a new level of difficulty. See, you hold it like a steering wheel and actually steer! It's really fun! But one super stupid thing about it is drifting around corners and getting little boosts and such. You can put that on automatic. And even if it's on manual, you only have to hold one button to initiate it. How stupid is that?
I give it 7/10

No comments: