Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Forgotten Carols

My second show in college has come to an end. Along with one of the busiest weeks ever. Seriously, here's how my week went:

Sunday: I had to come back from Thanksgiving week early for final dress rehearsal of The Messiah
Monday: Choir concert
Tuesday: Tech rehearsal (for Forgotten Carols)
Wednesday: Final dress
Thursday: Opening night
Friday: Choir concert thing during the day (which were at the same time as my Acting class mock audition callbacks that I also had to be at) and Forgotten Carols at night
Saturday: Closing night
Sunday: The Messiah

This was all the week before finals, mind you. I had two big things in psych due, mock auditions for Acting, various math assignments, a tap final, and studying to do. It was a tough week.

Anyway, this show was a much different experience than Charley's Aunt. I loved it, but in a very different way. It was a lot of fun to make fun of this awful script so often. It was interesting to watch the choir and dancers suddenly join. It was amazing to watch people adjust as we only had four days on the actual stage before opening night.

Now, everyone's favorite part of a Dr. K production, DR K QUOTES!

"Let's get on the track!"
"I can't stand unorginized-ness out in the world"
"We'll start with the short ones first and then you can go frolic and play."
" 'I've had a lot of experience'. Good thing it's his wife saying that"
(Adam) "Where did this happen?" (Dr. K) "Bethlehem."
"Don't put the hat on him. It looks stupid."
"By their nuts ye shall know them."
"Go right...BOOM...meet Haskle or whatever his name is."
"You'll carry a...No wait. You'll carry a...No wait. You'll carry a...No wait. You'll carry a...No wait."
(Dr. K) "Why are you all dressed up?" (Nashelle) "I wore this all day!" (Dr. K) "That's disgusting."
(Dr. K) "What's his name?" (Adam) "Halifax" (Dr. K) "I don't care."
(Adam dancing on rehearsal table) "This...is a Sacred Place of Theatre!"
" 'He corrected YOUR english. That's funny!' ...I'll get him."
"Starting with virgins is good."
"Feel the Spirit...You see the Spirit? Feel the spirit?"
"You're a Heavenly Haskle"
"Take a tinkle break and come back and we'll float on a cloud!"
"If that means we have to overturn the world and reinvent the wheel, we'll do it."
"I'm not going to say anything smart."
"When I die, I want you to cremate me, put me in my grandma's music box, and put me on a shelf in the prop closet. Then every time you open it I can go 'Poof!'"
"I'm going to dance it for you"
"Imagine you're on drugs. And happy about it."
"It looks like underwear is going to jump out of there!"
"Make me tingle!"
"Run your sick scene lines."
"In this particular show, people just walk around and look stupid."
"I'm going to start sending you all nasty little messages of Facebook!"
"Shut up! I'm acting! ... Shut up! I'll kill you!"
"At first I thought it was a dry booger and you were trying to arrange it."
"I'm being irreligious."
(Dr. K) "I've got a hot...bath Sunday" (Alex) "You have a hot date Sunday! I'm coming over!" (Dr. K) "That's why I have to take a bath."
"Take a few pee minutes."
"You're awestruck, baby. Well, fakely"
"It's not crying, it's crying...wait."
"Get in there, kick ***, and take some names!"
"It was the devil punishing you for being jolly."
"Lets start this party you weirdos. You...special weirdos."
"Come on! I'm the old person and you're sitting around like the elderly in wheel chairs!"
"Are you tired? ...Coffee?"
"Any times the energy starts to drop, I'm going to sing church songs to punish you!"
"Stop playing with her...thingies"

Yay, Dr. K. He sure is entertaining to work with.

Anyway, on Friday night I ended up smacking my face against a pole. After the curtain call, we have a little song (which was a surprise to the actors. We all ended up standing there and mouthing "ding" and trying to look like we knew what we were doing) and then the lights go out. We had to get off the stage quickly so we could let the audience out, but to do that we had to go up the five-foot high platform of stairs we were standing on, go down the back side, and go between the two platforms the choir had been sitting on. The choir was hidden behind a scrim that we would have to duck under to get onto and off of the stairs.
Now, when those lights go out, I am totally lost without my glasses. I can't see anything. The first night, I almost fell off the platform. So, on Friday, the moment the lights went out, Alex grabbed my hand and was trying to lead me down the stairs. Once he was already under the bar weighing down the end of the scrim, he was afraid I was going to run into the choir platform and quickly pulled me behind him. As he did, my forehead right down close to my nose met the bar to a loud DONG!
It still hurts, but I've been trying to pretend it didn't so Alex would stop feeling so bad.

Friday night, after the show, we decided to have a 'girl's night sleepover' at Jenifer's apartment. It was sooo much fun. We got there right after the cast party and literally talked the whole night through. I got home at about 7 in the morning and hadn't slept a wink. There isn't much I can add to this story because, literally, we just talked. and talked. and talked. But it made me glad I know these people.

Then, Saturday it snowed. We have a tradition of driving the Denny's a few towns away after striking the set, but we decided it was probably too dangerous in the snow. So, we brought Denny's to us by cooking pancakes and bacon at Belinda's apartment.





We had to rehearse in the scene shop for a while. It was entertaining.



Several cast members got sick. This is me at the Saturday rehearsal during my turn.



I felt important having my name on the dressing room door.

No comments: