Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Bus Stop and The Forgotten Carols and more Charley's Aunt

So! Updates. I auditioned for a play called Bus Stop. I read the script before I went in and didn't like it a whole lot, but was still excited to see what happened. Bus Stop has officially become the first play I've ever auditioned for that I didn't make call backs for. I was disappointed at first, but then I remembered how long it's been since I've had the chance to do tech. When I tried to to tech at ISB, Miss Hanson somehow conned me into playing a small role instead. So, when I went to check the call board to check if Tech assignments had been made (they asked on the audition form if we'd be interested in tech if we didn't make the show), I saw a poster proclaiming "AUDITIONS FOR FORGOTTEN CAROLS". When I heard of the show the first time, I thought it was just a choir thing, but I guess it's kind of a musical type thing.

Apparently I'm the only person in this state who doesn't know the show backwards and forwards. I went into Dr. K's office to get audition material and he was like "Which song would you like?" I was like "Uh...song?" He looked at me for a moment and said, "How well do you know this show?" I told him that I had never heard of it before this. He seemed pretty surprised but handed me a song and sent me off to learn it. The song was pretty, but really really repetitive.

Now, many of you know auditions scare the ever living daylights out of me. Singing in front of people scares the ever living daylights out of me. So, mix the two together in front of a whole bunch of people I respect, and I was just about ready to turn around and run out the door. But, I sat down, tried to breath, and waited for the process to begin. Much to my surprise, Alex soon walked in and sat next to me with his audition material. Now, this kind of shocked me because anyone who made Bus Stop couldn't audition and Alex is one of the most talented actors I've ever met. I felt a bit better about not making Bus Stop at that point.

Dr. K did not help my nerves when he sat in front of us and said "You only have one short shot at this. Make it count because I won't give you another chance. Oh, also, you're auditioning for West Side with this too." The atmosphere in the room thickened very suddenly.

One by one he called people up to sing their excerpts. I was pretty mad when I realized the other female song was not only a prettier song with more opportunity for acting, but also the one the lead sings. But I waited for what felt like an eternity before he called on me to sing (yes, I was the second to last person). Putting on my brave 'acting' face, I walked up trying to look confident and trying not to let Dr. K see my legs wiggling like Jello. I took a deep breath (which was actually bad because I had tap earlier that day and my asthma freaked out so every time I tried to take a deep breath I would cough...) and sang what I could.

The next day, I spent quite a while standing just beyond where I could see the call board (of course it's at the end of this ridiculously long hallway. There is a door next to it, but it's always locked so we have to go the long way) and reminded myself how excited I was about tech. I took a few steps forward and, sure enough, there was my name.

The next day I was feeling much more confident. He had called back 5 boys and 13 girls (there are three roles of each gender). Though most of the girls weren't those I was used to seeing. Most of them were vocal majors. Now we were doing reading. Now we were in my territory! Though, much to my (and Dr. K's) surprise, most of those vocal majors had quite a bit of acting ability. He only had me read for the tiny role that I had sung the next day so I was sure I hadn't made it.

That night, I reminded myself again how excited I was about tech and went out and had a fun night (I saw two improv shows, went on a Denny's run, and watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit with my friends. I didn't get back until 4:30 in the morning). The weekend didn't last as long as I was afraid it would. On Monday, I was in my choir class when the realization that the list was probably up hit me. I kept trying to sing, but then I thought about how several people in that class had made callbacks and how much I hate looking at lists when other people are around. I excused myself to 'go to the bathroom' and ran to the call board.

There, in large letters, was my name. I got the part of Sarah. I'm only on stage for all of two double spaced pages, but I get a song. I'm also going to see if he'll let me play some of the extra roles. He might not just so he can let the choir do stuff, but we'll see.

Now, changing subjects, here are the production photos from Charley's Aunt! Yay!

Act I



Act II



Act III

1 comment:

Gunda Lee said...

Yea!!!!Thanks for more pictures, you are beautiful! We are super proud of you and, as always, we think you're AMAZING!!!!