Friday, May 1, 2009

When childhood nostalgia doesn't quite turn out how you expect...

Have you ever had that yearning to reminisce in your childhood? When you want to drag out that old movie you watched over and over and over again as a child and pop it in the VCR? Well, for me that favorite movie was The Brave Little Toaster.

So, ready for some childhood memories I stirred myself some warm apple cider (okay, maybe it was apple juice put in the microwave with some cinnamon in it), locked myself in my room, and began the movie.

The smile was warm on my face as I watched the five little appliances dance around the house having the time of their lives. But it began to slip as the air conditioner freaked out about how the master was never coming back and they had all been abandoned. It had been completely replaced with an 0_o expression when he actually blew up and died.

I shook my head and kept watching. But the movie kept getting more and more disturbing. I felt sorry for the flower that tried to make friends with the toaster and was left to wither. I was frightened when the vacuum seemed to have a seizure on the edge of a cliff. I was disturbed by the 'new' appliances convincing our heroes that they were obsolete. It seemed to out do itself at every turn!

You also have the opportunity to watch a little blender being torn apart for it's motor. You see sinister shadows of a man stabbing the thing with a screwdriver, ripping out chords, and snipping pieces off with our friends watching in horror the entire time. When the man leaves, you're left with the image of the screwdriver hanging off the counter and dripping oil. And who can forget the scene in the junk yard? You're able to witness cars singing about their glory days and then being graphically crushed into little tiny squares of scrap metal.

Though, by far, the most disturbing scene is the Toaster's dream sequence. There's no way to give this justice in words alone. You just have to see it.


6 comments:

Chelle said...

Yeah... this movie explains why you are the way you are.

Amber Dodge said...

*cough* Labrynth *cough*

Brian said...

HAHAHA! Touché Amber!

Lindsay said...

Yes!! I totally hear you Amber! I was thrilled to see this horrible movie in a 'give-away' box someone in our ward was passing around and seized the opportunity to snag it. I watched it with McKenzie the first time and just about DIED from all the horrible stuff in it! McKenzie seemed unscarred by the whole thing, but I was definitely left with marks -

And what's with the Labyrinth? I love that show!

Amber Dodge said...

You can not deny that Labrynth is acid included. What about that scene where the puppets tear off their heads and dance around? And David Bowie's pelvic thrust is enough to mentally scar anyone.

Chelle said...

Oh, I'm dying here! I never came back to check on OTHER comments... and now I know. I know that I should have. Fuuuuunny stuff. My heart will always belong to Labyrinth.