Monday, July 20, 2009

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Well, I've done it again. I've let my blogging get away from me.

Now I'm in Utah, feeling almost like Thailand was a dream. Midway's basically the same. Heather's still Heather, the Zurmatt's still ugly, and people are still more concerned about Swiss Days than anything else. But I...I am different. Something just doesn't feel the same in me. I find myself unable to explain to my friends what I've seen. That a world does exist outside of Midway. That the centerpiece for relief society isn't at the forefront of the world's mind. Somehow, people just don't seem to understand. I've been asked multiple times how my "trip" was. I can't find the words to explain that it wasn't a "trip". It was home.

Of course, Midway has it's benefits. Even though the news reporters are spewing nonstop about how incredibly hot it is, the night air is cool and refreshing. The stars twinkle brightly in the sky, waiting for me to pick out constellations. The food has such flavor! And this funny little neighborhood is still one of the oddest place I've ever been. I've been watching Gilmore Girls and every time the town does something quirky that seems like it would only exist on TV, I'm reminded of Midway. We have our funny cast of characters. People seem to think decorating and dressing up are the most important things in the world for little town things (Swiss Days. Seriously, guys. It's not the most important thing on this earth and you're not actually Swiss). I laughed when I saw the police truck driving, once again, to the Kelsons. No...things really haven't changed other than a few new buildings and a poorly designed new High School.


But I will never be the same.

3 comments:

Gunda Lee said...

Wow. I have said it before and I'll say it again....you can write. You can paint a picture that literally comes to life.

I love you

Lindsay said...

Beautiful...beautiful. I'm happy you're back.

The Wes Gordon Family said...

I read the poison Wood Bible.

this post reminds me of that.

Read it.